Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Self Improvement by reading




A few months, I got a Kindle as a gift, and I love it so much. I used to read a lot when I was younger, but for some reason I've stopped doing it. Since I got my Kindle, I've been reading everyday; I've started reading the Harry Potter series (I'm now reading the fourth book, so obsessed! ), and a few classics like Pride and Prejudice and Jane Eyre.

I usually read at night, in my bed, and I found that it relaxes me and helps me takes my mind off worries (real or imaginary). I read until my eyelids feel heavy and then I just close my book and drift to sleep. Before, I'd turn and toss thinking about to-do lists, projects, ideas, and that would keep me up for hours and hours.

I also like to read when I take the train or bus to NYC; the 1 hour ride would get me impatient, specially when the trains are delayed. Now, I just bury myself in whatever book I'm reading, and before I know it, I arrived at my destination.

An added bonus of reading on a e-reader, it's that it comes with a built-in dictionary, so if you want to know the meaning of a word you just click on it, and it tells you what it means. I'm forever in awe with technology!

So, reading has been a nice change of pace for me; I've been sleeping  better, learning how to being patient and improving my vocabulary.

Do you like to read? Do you prefer digital books or paper books? Do you have a favorite author or book? Share your recommendations!

No comments: