Thursday, November 29, 2012

How to beat the Winter blues



Yup. It's that time of the year again. Winter is here, there's no point in denying it anymore. We already had our first snow storm, and now that the days are getting shorter. I know a lot of people suffer from the Winter blues (myself included) and these are some things I've done that have helped me to deal with my Winter moodiness.

Get outside as much as possible

Just bundle up and get outside! Even if it's overcast, you'll be able to benefit from the UV rays and improve your mood. Even 20 minutes helps!

Wear bright colors

It's no secret that colors affect how we feel, so try to wear bright colors. Most people wear black and gray during winter, so remember: the duller the colors you wear, the duller your mood is*I love to wear my red coat, or wear yellow thighs with my dress. Even just a scarf in a happy color or pattern will do! This also applies to make up, I love bright pink nails, red lipstick and rosy blush.

Get moving!

I know when it's cold outside, it's easy to forgo exercising. You just want to bundle up and be cozy.  I like to take advantage of the freezing temperatures, and go ice-skating. It's something that I only get to do during Winter, so it always gets me excited. It's vital to get some exercise, so your body will produce some endorphins and you'll feel happy!

And if it's really cold and windy outside, I do a workout dvd in my living room.

Socialize

Now that the holidays are approaching, you have more excuses to get together with family and friends.
But what to do after the holidays? It's easy to become reclusive. Make coffee or movie dates with friends, take a class or volunteer. The important thing is to go meet people and not become a hermit.


Start a project

It's always a good idea to start a project to keep you busy and get some feeling of accomplishment.
These are some of the indoor activities I'm planning to do this Winter: taking a wine class, paint my bedroom, make this diy wall decoration for my dining room and do some screenprinting at home.

These are only some tips that have helped me in the past, if you have more tips on how to beat the Winter blues, please share them in the comment section!

Stay warm! -Monica


*Quote by Karen Erickson.


2 comments:

Hena Tayeb said...

Great tips. I love that photograph.

pattern society said...

✚ all very good advice!! ✚